Choose an Institution

Choose an Institution

An increasing number of overseas students are running into difficulty renewing their student visas where the educational provider is not listed on the Tier 4 Register of sponsoring colleges.  Since Tier 4 of the Points based System was implemented on 31 March this year, colleges must be licensed by the UK Border Agency (UKBA) to take international students on student visas.

You should check Tier 4 Register of Sponsors to make sure the college or university that you have chosen is on the list.

The register contains the education provider’s name and location. It also indicates whether the education provider is a Highly Trusted sponsor, or is a standard sponsor with an A (Trusted)or B (Sponsor) rating. The B rating is a transitional rating, and means that the sponsor is working with UKBA to improve its systems.

Highly Trusted sponsors have demonstrated the highest levels of compliance with their duties. In return, they can offer a wider range of course levels and work placement opportunities.

When choosing an institution in the UK, you should also consider the following:

  • if other students from your country are studying in the same place
  • if the university or college has cultural or social clubs that you can join
  • what type of accommodation is available
  • what type of sports facilities are available
  • whether the university or college offers support for people with disabilities