Confirmation of acceptance for studies(CAS)

Confirmation of acceptance for studies(CAS)

Before you can apply for permission to enter or remain in the UK under Tier 4 (General), your education provider must assign a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) to you. This confirms that you have been given an unconditional offer of a place on a course of study with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor.

If you have a valid CAS, you can score 30 points in our points assessment. However, this will not guarantee that your application will be successful - you will also need to meet the other Tier 4 (General) requirements.


A confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) is a 'virtual document' similar to a database record. Your education provider (also known as your 'Tier 4 sponsor') will assign a CAS to you when they give you an unconditional offer of a place on a course.

Each CAS has a unique reference number, and contains information about the course of study and the student's personal details.

Your education provider will tell you your CAS reference number. They will also need to give you some of the information they used (such as the course details, the documents they used to assess your suitability, and the course fees) when they assigned the CAS to you. You will need this information when you apply to us.

A CAS is valid if it:

  • contains the same details as are in your passport; and
  • was assigned no more than 6 months before the date when you apply to us; and
  • has not been withdrawn or cancelled by your education provider or by us.

If you do not use your CAS to apply to UKBA during the 6 months after it is assigned to you, it will expire and you will need to get a new CAS from your education provider. If you apply to UKBA using a CAS that has expired, UKBA will refuse your application.

You cannot use a CAS more than once. If UKBA refuse your application, and you want to apply again, your education provider will need to assign another CAS to you.

UKBA or your education provider can withdraw or cancel a CAS at any time. You cannot use a withdrawn or cancelled CAS in an application to us.